Thursday, February 7, 2008

Arrogance

I was dealing with a peer who does a lot of work with coffee a couple of weeks ago. My thoughts ran into more of a rant. So here you are!

Arrogance -noun The offensive display of superiority or self-importance; overbearing pride.

The girl I was thinking about was arrogant. More, she had arrogant negativity. It is frustrating just being around her, because she thinks that she is THE know-all end-all of coffee. She is really pretty new at her job (less than 6 months). She's the one who always has the answer and will grill you on it later. Everyone desires to stop her face with a couple of knuckles. Yeah, not fun.

The reason that those types of people are hard to handle is that they are not open to a method other than their own. They see one way and anything else is a gross error. To contrast with arrogant positivity, people are immediately repelled to the positive people around.

Arrogant people who are positive are a huge encouragement to many people. They are fun, up-beat, and generally happy people. I like being around them and I can deal with their arrogance, because they are just basically full of shit. The double knockout is when these people can be serious at the right times. I like to think of Matthew McConaughey. He's funny and something of a big-shot. However, nobody takes him too seriously. I think he's a decent actor, not terrible by any means. However, he's not going to land the $100 million I am Legend roles because of it. But he will make a great living at what he does.

As I look back at the definition, I think that it's cool as long as you take out being offensive and make it a big joke. As soon as you become offensive, you drive people away.

No comments:

Post a Comment