Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Only children and having mentors around

Another post I wrote...
"A thought on only children. You mentioned a special challenge in keeping them from feeling lonely. I have a younger brother and I still felt VERY lonely when my parents were going through a divorce (I was 15 when I realized it was going to happen and it happened at 17). And I felt like I lost my brother somewhere in there. Then I ended up moving in with my mom after finishing HS. There was a comm college near where she and my brother lived, so it was the obvy choice. I got past this by finding and burying myself in given hobbies (computers, climbing). Then later as I was becoming an adult, I got my brother back. One of the things that helped was the random stanger that befriended me. I think that something that might help an only child would be to keep a good company of adult mentors that can help. It's not that they would spend regular time with the kid, but whenever they started building friendships you know.

I think that this is something of my calling. I'm not sure, but it feels like it. Just being a mentor to the kids of the people who are really important to me. I feel like that is why I'm here (in the child free part of life).
/spewing"

No comments:

Post a Comment